Friday, September 18, 2009


Second paint-out morning and the intrepid plein air artists (Miri and me) scout out a hidden corner of a lovely valley. Acres of sunlit sage overlooking green pastures nestled in the arms of surrounding hills. It was still early when we stopped on a dirt road; sunlight was brushing the tops of the sagebrush turning them into whimsical, dancing candelabras. 

I pulled out my sanded board, slapped it on the easel and started to lay down color in hopes of capturing that nimbus of back-lit sage – my heart was captured by the early morning show and my head despaired as those beams shifted, the angle of light changed, the magic dissipated. The breeze tugged at my board, a truck rattled by raising a dust cloud that drifted, swirled and settled.  I sighed and worked on, hoping to capture those swaying, glowing branches. They don’t make a color labeled ‘sunshine on sage.’

My pastel board was taped to a thin masonite support, and when finished I laid a sheet of glassine paper over the painting to protect the fragile surface from smearing (remember the little glassine envelops we used to collect stamps in?). I carefully replaced my powdery pastels into the padded slots of their box, broke down my easel and loaded gear into the car. The day had warmed considerably; we were sweaty, dusty and ready for shade and nourishment.

About five minutes down the road Miri stopped the car and in a horrified voice said, “Oh Carol, I left your painting on the hood of the car!” It was clearly gone, so we turned around and about a half mile back, found it face down in the dirt and gravel. I jumped out, there were tire tracks decorating the masonite!  I lifted it up expecting to see a poor, mutilated image, but other than a few divots of gravel imparting an interesting textural effect to the surface, the painting was undamaged. I framed it later that evening and it sold at the exhibition on Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Love this story! The painting is absolutely Sunshine on Sage. Thanks for sharing and framing the idea that texture does add value to our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Aselin, thanks for the comment, you're the very first! We do need texture to add interest and depth.

    ReplyDelete